Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Ministry Mishaps

I read recently in a book that all believers should read through the book of Acts at least once a year.  I found this statement interesting because I am currently reading through the book of Acts.

So today I came across this story that always makes me a little sad.  It is found in Acts 15:36-41.  It is the story of Paul and Barnabas separating.  I can't help it, every time I read this story it makes me feel slightly discouraged.  Not because I foresee this happening in my own ministry but, I suppose I see Paul and Barnabas as a great team and it makes me sad that a great team like that split.

The situation went like this, Paul and Barnabas had just returned from the Jerusalem Council.  At this point they had already completed one missionary trip, planting several church, now Paul and Barny were getting ready to set out on their second mission excursion.  Barny wanted to bring along John Mark (the author of the gospel from Mark).  Scholars report that John Mark was somehow related to Barnabas, so we can see he had a connection with this guy.  Paul however did not want John Mark to come along on this trip, and that was the crux of their argument.  John Mark had come along on the first trip and left them to go back home.  So this time Paul refused to bring him along because he felt he was unreliable and Barny disagreed, thus the split.

Now the story doesn't end there, in the book of Philemon, Paul mentions that Mark is there with him as well as several other saints.  So ultimately the story ends on a happy note but still the beginning of it makes me sad.

I guess I think about my own ministry when I read this story.  I think about the people that are involved with me, that trust me if I am the one in charge.  I know we all may have differing opinions about the work that we do, different gift, different methods and we all read the scriptures and see different things because that is one of the ways God works on us.  If we all saw the same things when we read the bible, there would be nothing to learn from each other.  God created us like a body, each having a different function but ultimately operating as one.  However, will all our differences, it could be easy for conflict and disagreements to arise.

In my quote book I wrote down a fortune I got from a cookie once, that really sums up what I am getting at here.  Conflict should never be about victory but progress.

Conflict should never be about victory bur progress.

When we disagree and see things differently I think there are a few things we need to consider.

1. Find middle ground.  Part of progress is growing as an individual.  Maybe through a situation of conflict God is trying to grow you and stretch you.  Be open to meeting someone half way and allow yourself to grow from the experience.
Now in this I need to say that there may be situation where you cannot, I repeat cannot, compromise.  The biggest example is anything that contradicts the truth of scripture.  If you are in a conflict with someone over something that is clear in scripture, do not budge.  As I said earlier, we each will learn different things from reading our bibles but the basic truths should never differ.  We may glean different lessons from scripture but the truth of scripture is eternal.

2. Trust God.  Even though Paul and Barny separated in the end we see Paul had great use for John Mark.  He was one of his comrades, helping and serving with Paul toward the end.  We may get into conflict with others in our own ministry but be honest with each other and trust in God that He knows the end and has it all under control.
Romans 9 says that for all who love God, He work out all things for good.
This is one thing I really struggle with because I don't really enjoy conflict but I need to trust him that if I speak what I feel him leading me too, in the end it will be good.  Even if for the moment I lose a friend or partner in ministry.

Let us not be afraid of conflict but let us also use conflict in our ministries not for victory but for progress.

May our LORD be with you
Josh

P.S. Here is a song by Casting Crowns that sums this up quite nicely.
 Enjoy!! http://youtu.be/gK92TZrE-SA

No comments:

Post a Comment