Monday, August 15, 2011

Old Memories

For the past couple of days more and more photos with me in them have been appearing on facebook. Not just any photos. Photos taken during my childhood and teen years, mostly at YFC functions or hanging out with YFC people. This has stirred within myself some very strange feelings. Don't get me wrong, I love seeing and laughing at the "good ole days," but most of the time when I can be found in a photo, the image makes me want to die!!

Why, oh WHY!!! did I ever let myself do some of the things I did or let myself be photographed doing them. Now I realize that in the grand scheme of things this is not a big deal and the embarrassment is mostly shared by everyone else, so like I said not a big deal. We all did crazy things in our youth and especially if you were a "YFCer" crazy and embarrassing was part of the deal.

I have never thought of myself as a sentimental or nostalgic kind of a man but I have to say these photos have provoked some deep thinking with in me. I look back on my photographed childhood and think, "Was I ever crazy and at times immature." Not only do I think about my teen years but the years leading up to and after high school. I think about the paths I have taken to lead me to the place I am at right now. Life certainly has not turned out the way I planned and thought it should. Don't get me wrong I would not trade my experiences and my life for anything. I couldn't imagine my life without Abby and Zion, even though when I was 14 and these photos were taken I didn't know her or even think, "hey some day I'm gonna marry that girl."

All of the choices I have made, the achievements (though few), the failures (though many), all of it has played a significant part in shaping the person I am today. Even though there are some things in my life I wish I could improve or change, i can find contentment knowing that God has been guiding me this whole time.

Most of us who are followers of Christ know that verse in Jeremiah that says I know the plans I have for declares the LORD, plans for a hope and future, for good not evil. Even though God was speaking to the Jews I believe this verse can apply to each of us individually.

Think about this!!

We have the freedom of choice, God does not make us do anything, we have freewill. However, do not forget the kind of limitless, infinite God we serve.

GOD IS BIG ENOUGH TO TAKE THE CHOICES AND EVEN THE MISTAKES WE MAKE AND FIT THEM INTO HIS PURPOSES!!!

When I look at these photos and reflect on all the bad choices I have made I don't come down on myself, I realize that the God who loves me without end has taken my decisions and used them for His purposes. So even though I am not where I think I should, I know that because of my relationship with Jesus I am right where He wants me.



No comments:

Post a Comment