Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Living a life of....service

We took some of the Youth to Christmas Candy lane the other night. Let me tell you it was cold....I mean really cold. Well I can only tell you second hand from what everyone was telling me because I came prepared and was actually quite toasty. But everyone else said it was cold. Especially my buddy Malachi. He didn't come totally prepared. I mean he did dress for cold weather, he wasn't wearing shorts like others we saw. But he didn't bring a heavy coat or hat and gloves, he said we was a man and could stand the cold.

Part way through the night, when Malachi's testosterone started wavering, I offered him my warm hat, which he took. Then one of the girls who came along didn't have any gloves, so I gave her mine. I was fine for the rest of the night till we got back to the car. By that time my ears and hands were a bit chilled. When Malachi gave my hat back someone had said, "Why'd you give him your hat," to which I said, "he was cold!" makes sense right?

I was reflecting on this a bit later and came to some interesting conclusions. If one of those students had not brought a coat, I would have given mine willingly. Why? you may ask. Because I am a servant to these students. It's not my job to parent them or whatever it's my job to serve them.

One of the students who has been coming to youth group recently moved. Before the move it was easy for them because they live right in the Church's backyard but now they have to get a ride to come. Their parents said that if they want to keep coming they have to find a ride because they won't take the 3 minutes out of their not-busy schedule to drive them .2 miles down the road to the Church. So every Wednesday we go and pick them up. Is that wrong? You better believe it. Does it make me angry at the parents for their lack of parenting, of course. But because I am a servant to these kids I put aside my feelings and drive every Wednesday and get them.

Jesus never called us to a lifestyle of comfort and luxury, he called us to a life of service. In Luke he says if anyone will come after him they must deny themselves (what they think or feel) and pick up their cross (make the ultimate sacrifice) and follow him. Paul says to offer your body as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God.

Do you get the picture, I could list more, but for our purposes right here I think that says a lot. We who are followers of Christ are to be servants to other believers and non believers a like. Why do you think Jesus wash the disciples feet? They all wanted to be counted as number 1, be top dog. Jesus says that is not the point of this life. Service the where the heart of God is at. Take this advent season, it's all about God making the sacrifice of sending His son to earth for our benefit.

Day 13-Unfortunately I have come down with a cold...the joys of being a parent and am unable to fast as I would like too. I am still taking the time to pray for the students but had to eat lunch to keep my body strength up. Please pray for me, I need my voice back in full swing by Thursday to sing in the Christmas Eve service on Friday. I know God will heal me completely, I have no doubt whatsoever.

May our LORD be with you

1 comment:

  1. Great post Josh! I love your thoughts and agree with you completely... I think God gave us this gift of serving and encouraging young people for a reason - cuz he knew they needed it in their life.

    Hope you feel better! Will be praying for you today as I fast!

    ReplyDelete