Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Fasting Day 7-When a sacrifice become "Legal"

I have a funny story to tell you. Actually it's more of a story showing just how much of an idiot I really am. I am currently filling in down in the lower East Wing of the Capital whilst...that's right whilst the staff of the lower East Wing has there Christmas party.

So I'm sitting here and the Supervisor named Pat Rhoades, who is the sweetest older lady, comes to me and brings me a huge plate of food from the party. When I say huge...I mean HUGE!!!!! Being the good follower of Christ what do I do? Keep in mind that just 15 min earlier I was thanking God for this experience and the awesome prayer times that I've been having when I would normally be eating.

So what do I do? I totally forgot about my fast and started chowing down. I know what you are thinking, what an idiot. I know that because I had the same thought about....oh....3 minutes into eating this plate of wonderful food. By the way if anyone from the lower East Wing staff reads this, the food was good.

BUT!!! right in the middle of my eating I realize I just made a huge mistake. I feel right back into the habit of having lunch. Needless to say I felt like the kid who just got caught with his hand in the cookie jar. I spoke to God and began to tell him how sorry I am and how stupid of me it was, when I was interrupted...by God.

He told me to read Matthew 6:16-18, which is the part in the sermon on the mount where Jesus talks about Fasting. He says that fasting is something between you and God. He says look normal when you fast, don't put on a miserable face to let people know that you are fasting. I realize that what God was saying is that it was okay for me to graciously except the food from Ms. Rhoads because that was an act of kindness that she was doing for me.

Imagine, if she would have come to give me the food and I would have said...No I can't take that because I'm fasting (add in a pious, haughty voice when you read that line). How would that have looked? Now in this situation I know that she knows that I'm a believer. I also know that she is not. So the point is, it would have done more damage for the Kingdom (in terms of her view on Christ and his followers) than good if I would have declined the food.

If I would have said no, that would turn my fast into a legalistic ritual, than a sacrifice to God. I'm still going to have my time of prayer for the students and tomorrow I'm going to pick up right where I left off.

Keep the big picture in mind. The Pharisees made it their job to let people know that they were not as religious as they were (the Pharisees). To shoot down her act of kindness because of religiosity would have been wrong and damaging.

When fasting don't let this beautiful sacrifice to get closer to God and pray for whatever it is you are praying for become a legalistic thing that binds you rather than sets you free. Through this experience I feel closer to Jesus than I have in years. THAT!! my friends is the reward of this, not so others can see and know what you are doing so they could say or think, you are soooooo spiritual. The reason for doing this was not so I wouldn't eat everyday, the point is to take the time I would normally eat and pray and study and get closer to my Savior. The minute my sacrifice become an obligation rather than a willing offering, it become legalistic and wrong. It was worth it to break the fast for this moment so I could show God's love to someone who needs it and learn this really valuable lesson.

If you are joining me or are enjoying reading about this experience I hope that you as well are finding a sweeter walk or in my case a stumbling dance with Jesus.

May our LORD be with you

1 comment:

  1. Hey John, I hope I'm not too late I just saw your comment. I am glad you enjoy the Daily feast and am honored that you read it. I checked out that website you asked about. Everything looks to be on the up and up except the prayer tokens thing. I didn't get too deep into it but on the surface the prayer tokens did not settle well within my spirit. I feel that the Holy Spirit speaks to us in this way when something does not jive with what the Bible teaches the Holy Spirit can make us feel uneasy that is exactly how I felt when I read aboutr the prayer tokens. I don't think it is right to have to pay or work by reading other prayers to have yours looked at. That is not good my man. I would keep away from that sight if I were you.
    Where are you from dude? If you want we can start a prayer list thing with the Daily Feast. Let me know what you think!!!

    ReplyDelete