Sunday, September 12, 2010

Knowing God

J.I. Packer makes a very interesting statement in his book, "Knowing God." If you've never read it, I highly recommend picking up a copy. Anyway, he says that, One can know a great deal about God without much knowledge of Him. I think that is very true. It is an intellectual crime of many Christians. We can study all about any subject of our choosing and become an expert but until we experience what we are studying we really know nothing.

I can study all I want about being a Rock Star. I can watch interviews of other Rock Stars and listen and take notes about their experiences on stage. I can study the different stage performances and become an expert on putting together the perfect rock show. But until I strap on my guitar and actually go out and play a gig in front of 20,000 screaming people, I will never know what it is like even with all my "expertise."

We can read books of theological exposition and apologetics. We could dip into Christian history, and study the Christian creed. We can learn all there is to navigate our way through the Scriptures. We can speak in public, answer "Christian" questions, lead study groups, pay for the highest level of Christian education or write papers about God but that doesn't mean that you actually know God.

In the Psalms it says "Taste and See that the LORD is good." Notice the order of that statement. The Psalmist says "taste." There is no study in tasting only experience. Imagine if you were given a steak dinner. Would you spend the time looking at it, reading a book about it. I truly hope not. You would dive right into that sucker and savory every bite along the way.

That should be our approach to God, according to the Psalmist. Dive right into God and taste and savory all that He is.

After that comes the "see." The examination, the study, the intellectual part of the relationship.

I encourage you to take steps to know God with your heart before you know Him with your brain.

May our LORD be with you!

No comments:

Post a Comment