Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Being a Wise Guy

Well this time I’d really done it, maybe you can relate. Have you ever had one of those “Put your foot in your mouth moments?” Last year I was with my family up at my grandfather’s cabin. Sunday evening just before dinner some of us were outside having a conversation about an event that was rapidly approaching. We were all giving our opinions on the matter, especially me, and eventually the conversation turned into a little bit of an argument. After dinner I recounted the scenario to my wife and in her kind, gentle way she eloquently told me how foolish that was. Of course it took some time for me to realize the same and later that evening I had to make an apology.

See during the time I was thinking about the whole situation, the LORD brought a verse to my head. Proverbs 21:23, which say “He who guards his mouth and his tongue, guards his soul from trouble.” To be honest I really crave wisdom. I want to be one of those guys whom people ask advice from. Consult on all matters. I want to be that old wise man that uses words to solve people’s problems like he was playing a game of chess. Giving them sound advice and wisdom, kind of like Mr. Miyagi or Professor Dumbledore. But that kind of wisdom only comes from God. And God’s wisdom says it’s best to keep your mouth shut. Honestly think about it, if we spent less time talking and more time thinking and listening how much hassle would we save ourselves? Guarding the mouth makes you look smarter because you’re not letting something stupid come out every other minute. I wasn’t sorry for what I had said, I was sorry that I said it. I should have been that wise guy I desire to be and not said anything because it wasn’t my place or business.

Now we come to the big question. How many times in your day can you relate to my story? I think this is one of the biggest things we believers struggle with; slander, gossip, harsh words, course joking. Paul says in Ephesians 4 and 5,

“Let no unwholesome word proceed from your mouth.”

“Let all bitterness, wrath, anger, clamor and slander be put from you along with all malice.”

“and there must be no filthiness and silly talk or course jesting, which are not fitting, but rather give thanks.”

Call it divine whatever, Paul knew we would struggle with this. We love a juicy piece of gossip, a dirty joke..........but we shouldn’t. Our mouths are for edifying and building up each other. We were given speech for worship and praising. Not for what we use it for

Proverbs 21:23 “He who guards his mouth and his tongue, guards his soul from trouble.”

1 comment: